Download our FREE smartphone app today!
A Learning Guide’s role is central in both caring for students and monitoring their progress both academically and socially, encouraging involvement, commitment, and high standards of work. The Learning Guide will:
- Encourage high standards of work, behaviour and dress in students
- Look to reward achievements positively and implement, where necessary, appropriate sanctions with liaising with the pastoral department
- Teach PSHE for one period a week and participate in its development, evaluation and production of resources. This takes place at the academy at 3.40pm – 4.30pm on a Monday afternoon
- Be aware of friendship patterns, family structures, leisure interests, contents of student records, social development, problems at home/school and relationships with other students and staff
- Monitor and review their students’ current progress across the curriculum using all the data provided by teaching staff at the academy
- Follow through concerns and issues about learning and effort when necessary with subject areas and parents, in consultation with our teaching staff
- Be aware of social and personal factors relevant to the student within and outside of school
- Keep parents fully involved regarding students’ progress, including curriculum related or behavioural concerns
- Act as a primary ‘point of contact’ for parents and guardians when getting in to contact with the academy.
Your son or daughter’s Learning Guide will operate a weekly ‘open door opportunity’ on a Tuesday 8.30am – 9am and a Thursday 8.30-9am. This is simply to ensure students have an opportunity to access their Learning Guide at a formal agreed time in which they will be available.